History of Bushkill Falls

History of Bushkill Falls


Centuries of Natural History

Centuries of Natural History

High in the uplands of the Pocono Mountains of Northeastern Pennsylvania, streams of crystal pure water bubble up through rifts in primeval rock. These are the headwaters of Bushkill Creek, a great marsh alive with the call of wild birds.

As the waters begin their descent toward the Delaware River far below, they move ever faster toward Bushkill Falls, rushing over Pennell Falls, then between rocky walls through the Upper Canyon and Laurel Glen.

Suddenly the stream drops over the edge of a 100-foot cliff, the majestic Main Falls. From the deep pool at the bottom, banked by ferns, mosses, and wild flowers, the creek now drops another seventy feet through a long and spectacular gorge strewn with gigantic boulders. Trails and bridges lace the area, affording splendid views.

Nature hikers are enthusiastic about the walk to the Bridal Veil Falls. Here you will follow a nice trail by the Pond Run stream. The stream soon flows into the Little Bushkill where the mountain path leads deep into the forest. Spring-fed waters tumble down the mountainside in a series of three lovely falls so misty in their appearance they are named for brides of love.

Charles E. Peters first opened Bushkill Falls to the public in 1904, with a single path and a swinging bridge over the head of the main falls. Bushkill Falls is still owned by the Peters family.